Velo Orange Piolet Custom Build Sram GX Medium
This product is currently sold out.
The Piolet is a true adventure touring frame. It's designed for off-pavement touring, including dirt and gravel roads, dual track, and single track. We built it to be sturdy, simple, and very capable. As with our other frames it's built from double butted chrome-moly, even the fork. The seat says are a cool mono-stay design. The fork is also our own segmented design and loaded with bosses for mounting racks, water-bottles, gear cages, and even fenders. You can set it up like a traditional touring bike or bike packer style.
The small and extra-small sizes use 26" wheels. We chose 26" because they are easier to replace than 650b in remote locations. The larger size frames all use 700c, or 29er, wheels. The Piolet is designed for 2.4" tires, but larger tires will fit.
You can also use 650b (27.5") wheels on the larger size frames (M, L, XL). We find that 650b x 2.85" wide tires have almost the same diameter as 700c x 2.4", so handling will be as designed and there is sufficient clearance.
- Drivetrain Sram GX 2x10 with bar end shifters
- Brakes: TRP Hylex Hydraulic
- Handlebars: Salsa Cowbell
- Stem: Alloy
- Headset: Velo Orange Grande Cru 1-1/8″ Threadless
- Seat Post: Velo Orange Grand Cru Alloy 27.2
- Seat: WTB
- Crankset/Chainring: Sram GX 38/26
- Front Hub: Shimano Deore
- Rear Hub: Shimano Deore
- Rims: WTB ST TCS Tubeless Ready
- Spokes and Nipples: Sapim
- Tires: Teravail Sparwood 29"x2.2 Tubeless Ready